Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cranking It Up Again...

Good Morning! If you've read my infrequent posts, you know I haven't done this too often before now. But today, I have a different motivation... I'm in San Antonio, TX for the 2013 ISTE Conference! They have an app where you can "register your blog", soooo, I figured this would be a great way to document my experiences, weigh in on what I'll see over the next several days, comment on the topics presented, and maybe make a few friends along the way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've only been to San Antonio once before now. It was 1999, and my trip to Texas back then was my mother's graduation gift to me for attaining my Master's Degree. Now she lived in Houston at the time, which is 290 miles to the east. But my wife Marie had a friend here in TX whom she hadn't seen for a while. That friend's husband was in the Army and stationed at a nearby post (Ft. Hood?). Anyway, the two of them agreed to meet while we were on vacation and San Antonio was the agreed upon rendezvous. We had lunch on San Antonio's famous Riverwalk, chatted for a couple of hours and returned to our respective destinations. In and out. I didn't get a REALLY close look at the city, but I WAS here before (smile).

Well, for the conference this year, I'm smack in the middle of downtown SA. A block or so from the convention center. Three blocks from the Alamo. Right in the middle of the Riverwalk. Last night, as I walked around, the city was still abuzz, with literally hundreds of people still enjoying the club, restaurant, hotel and party scene (me, I just wanted to go get something to eat). All over the city, hanging from just about every large structure, "GO SPURS GO" banners fluttered (how did that work out for you guys, by the way? JUST KIDDING!) One thing I enjoying while I was outside was that the notorious Texas heat was tempered greatly by a steady but gentle breeze. That made my walk very pleasant.

I'm here with two other colleagues from the school where I teach (East Columbus Magnet Academy, Columbus, GA - GO KNIGHTS!!!), and perhaps they'll take a picture or two with me while we're here. There are also about 12 other educators from the Columbus, GA area in attendance here (according to the conference attendee rolls that I researched from the iste 2013 mobile app (shameless plug, I know; I want extra points, lol). There are thousands of educators here from all over the country and the world, and two of my favorite things, teaching and technology, will be the highlight of the visit this week. So, from the heart of San Antonio, greetings and salutations! Feel free to post a comment below, and I'll hopefully see you soon!

"The Words of the Preacher are ended..."

No comments:

Post a Comment