Wednesday, June 26, 2013

You are cordially invited to change the world...

...was one of the last things I heard at the 2013 ISTE Conference held here in San Antonio, TX.

And it was awesome.

Today was the final day of the ISTE Conference. It wasn't as heavily attended as the previous two days, as one might expect. Many hundreds have already returned to their various destinations around the globe (and I mean that literally). In fact, it appeared that many of the people whom I saw today were attending last minute presentations for the latest educational gadgetry, trying to win stuff in the raffles (as I was), or waiting for the afternoon's closing keynote address, which would be delivered today by the renowned Adam Bellow.

I found Mr. Bellow's presentation to be nothing short of mesmerizing. He used google glass, a device I had never seen before. And his timings for his slides was spot on perfect. At times funny, entertaining, instructive, inspirational, emotional, riveting, and driven, his message had all the fire and passion of a church revival, coupled with all the emotion and enthusiasm that we true educators bring to our craft every day. I'll give you one point to illustrate: he asked the pointed question, "Why is it that the school outlaws facebook for the students but then will turn around and create a facebook page for themselves?" Excellent point. Now, being an educator in the trenches, I can tell you that I have legitimate concerns about the potential for distraction and misuse that social media and other forms of internet access can provide. But I also see the potential for these entities to transform the quality of education everywhere, and the need to balance them. Our kids see us use the tech everyday, and they use it each day themselves, especially when they get away from the school. The trick for us is to find that balance, help them discover what they can do, and then get them to do it.

Like many of us said today, I find myself exhilarated and energized and wiped out and exhausted at the same time. I can't wait to try some of the ideas I've learned out here, but at the same time, I'm gonna need a few days to rest, reflect and process. (Do I need a vacation from my vacation? Hmm...)

The good news is that next year, the ISTE Conference will be held in Atlanta, GA, so if I get to go, I can drive there and stay with my family in the area. The BAD news is that I'll probably have to pay for the next one out of pocket. Guess I better start saving up my pennies now, eh?

I truly had a blast. But now I'm ready to get back home, back to my family, back to my life. Farewell, ISTE, and thank you VERY much, San Antonio. Hope to see you again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment